This July Stephen and I will have been married for 29 years. Tonight I experienced one of those reminders of why I married him.
My husband is the kind of guy who will give someone a chance, even if it's not necessarily in his best interests. A few months ago, he did this yet again by "hiring" someone who had significant health problems and was on disability. A hard luck story, a guy with hardly a thing going for him. Even when the fella broke things, had accidents, and eventually stole from Stephen, my husband let him come back, knowing he really had no where else to go.
When Stephen got home from work today I asked how the guy was doing - he's not been to work in two weeks. Stephen told me one of his regular customers came by today and he also asked about this employee. The customer shook Stephen's hand and gently reminded him, "You have done more than anyone else would have." Yet Stephen had doubts. It was hitting close to home, trying to help someone who won't - maybe can't - make better choices, and feeling like you're the one who's failed.
The walking wounded are everywhere. Who will be there for them? I am fortunate to be married to someone who tries to be.
1 comment:
God bless Stephen! I am going to celebrate 29 years of being his devoted sister-in-law.
Post a Comment