On the way home from a friend's house today, I spotted a historical marker for a cemetery in Clay, which until the last 20 years was a little farming community that claims its first settlers arrived in 1818. This little cemetery was a family plot, not associated with a church. I suspect the descendants of the departed have, well, departed, and the little site has fallen into disrepair. It's between a power substation and the backyards of two houses. It's wire fence has fallen--or been pushed--down by foot traffic.
It is not from ourselves that we learn to be better than we are. ~ Wendell Berry
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
The Wear Cemetery
I've missed photographing cemeteries. The genealogy bug caught me for quite a while a few years ago, and I spent many sweet hours documenting the final resting places of my ancestors.
On the way home from a friend's house today, I spotted a historical marker for a cemetery in Clay, which until the last 20 years was a little farming community that claims its first settlers arrived in 1818. This little cemetery was a family plot, not associated with a church. I suspect the descendants of the departed have, well, departed, and the little site has fallen into disrepair. It's between a power substation and the backyards of two houses. It's wire fence has fallen--or been pushed--down by foot traffic.
On the way home from a friend's house today, I spotted a historical marker for a cemetery in Clay, which until the last 20 years was a little farming community that claims its first settlers arrived in 1818. This little cemetery was a family plot, not associated with a church. I suspect the descendants of the departed have, well, departed, and the little site has fallen into disrepair. It's between a power substation and the backyards of two houses. It's wire fence has fallen--or been pushed--down by foot traffic.
No comments:
Post a Comment