Saturday, March 22, 2014

Yard Changes

A tornado (and maybe more than one) tore through our neighborhood at 4am on January 23, 2012. We were blessedly unharmed by the storm. Our home received no major damage, just some missing shingles and a torn out roof turbine. No sweat.

But the yard was another story! We lost LOTS of trees, and there was a tremendous amount of debris to clean up. Piles of logs, stumps, and limbs were all over the yard. To be honest, there were a couple of huge benefits to all this destruction. I've had a long-standing battle with the hickory nuts in the yard (and deck, and driveway!). They always seem to be underfoot, and since some were 2" across, one under my foot usually meant I would be joining it on the ground. I've fallen MANY times because of the dang things. NO MORE! All those nasty hickories are gone. A second benefit is abundant sunlight, now that our tree canopy is gone. This means much, much more viable garden area. YIPPEE! Really excited about that.




No comments:

Post a Comment