Saturday, March 22, 2014

A friend's grief

Last week a sweet young friend from church posted a distressing message on Facebook, that her 24 year old brother-in-law, Andrew, had been missing for several days. Although I didn't know him, I could imagine the panic felt by those that loved him. I checked FB several times that day - well, many, many times - hoping our friends would get good news soon. But that didn't happen. He had hiked up in the hills behind his home and taken his life.

Our friend called to ask Stephen to give him a blessing of comfort. We were so thankful to be asked to offer any comfort, to be with them at this incredibly tender time. Stephen shared some thoughts about grief, blessings, and we were on our way.

All this week I've thought of this young man. He was - he is - pretty incredible. An avid cyclist and cycling activist, promoting the building of bike lanes in his town. He was an incredible potter, and his brother posted a video of him making cups, bowls, and a pitcher. And he made his own guitar. Wow.

My friend posted to FB her friend's blog post on the funeral. I'll repost it here, as it touched me deeply to see and vicariously experience the sweet goodness and talent of one child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment