Tuesday, January 12, 2010

If we could talk...


Since Corey passed away, I've often wondered, "What are you thinking, son?" I wish he could answer - or I could hear. I know he could teach me so much.

I miss most those moments when we could share things that were important to us...or not important. Just sharing bits of ourselves. "Mom, I saw a movie I think you'd really like" or "Have you heard this song? I know you don't like _____ , but I really think you'll like this one." And he'd be right. Both of my children have shared their musical discoveries with me and made my life a little richer each time.

Last May, Cait shared a few songs with me by Iron and Wine, which led me to download the song below, which makes me think of Corey every time I hear it.

Give this stone to my brother
Cuz we found it playing in the barnyard
Many years ago

Give this bone to my father
He'll remember hunting in the hills
When I was 10 years old

May my love reach you all
I lost it in myself and buried it too long
Now that I come to fall
Please say it's not too late
Now that I'm dead and gone

Give this string to my mother
It pulled the baby teeth she keeps inside the drawer
Give this ring to my lover
I was scared and stupid not to ask
For her hand long before

May my love reach you all
I lost it in myself and buried it too long
Now that I come to fall
Please say it's not too late
Now that I'm dead and gone
I can't know what you're thinking, but maybe you're missing me as much as I'm
missing you. I know you have lots to share and I can't wait to hear what you've learned.

1 comment:

Wendy Haught said...

Those are amazing lyrics. Tonight Emma was playing the piano and singing "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" from Phantom of the Opera. I asked her if she was thinking of someone from the Syracuse trip. She said, "No, Corey and Uncle John".

Post a Comment