My friend Gwen suggested I go by a plant sale hosted by the Birmingham Botanical Gardens last Friday. Seemed like a good thing to do. I don't consider myself an avid gardener or anything, but I do love plants and thought this might be a good opportunity to check out some vegetables for our summer garden.
I was in trouble, though, when I saw all the flowers. Good gracious alive! I told Stephen later that I was glad he hadn't gone with me. He'd have been no help in the restraint department and could have helped me carry out more loot! He asked me if they had blueberry plants. I'm sure they did, but I never made it that far.
As it was, I spent over $100, and most of that was on flowers. My first to pick up were these sweet things, Strawberry Cream dahlias. I was smitten because they were cute and made me think of my grandmother, Nanny.
She was an accomplished gardener with a passion for flowers. The glass doors of her dining room looked out onto her flower garden, which was flanked by my Papa's very ingenious and practical answer to garden chairs - two metal tractor seats, anchored in concrete.
One of the stories we heard our mom tell of her childhood was about the famously large dahlia that Nanny grew, 18" around, as I recall. Mom said it was the same size as her waist.
Yesterday was Nanny's birthday. Although she's been gone over 20 years, I still miss her terribly. When these flowers bloom, they'll add a little extra sweetness to my memories of her.


1 comment:
Good luck with your flowers! I think tractor seats are a must for your garden.
Post a Comment