Saturday, September 11, 2010

Nine Years Ago

I asked Stephen this morning what he remembered of the morning of 9/11. He said he knew exactly what he was doing, talking to a rep in Pennsylvania about a piece of equipment. The man said suddenly, "Something's going on in New York. I gotta go."

I was at home with Cait, who had an orthodontist appointment that morning. My friend Ivie called, quite distraught, trying to explain what was happening. "Surreal" doesn't even cover the feelings of that moment.

All flights were grounded, and I suddenly had a new fear. Corey was in Idaho after seeing off his friend Deane as he left for the MTC. How would I get my son home?

Cait and I made it to the dental appt, which in itself was a hard decision. I was actually afraid to leave the house, afraid of what would happen next. I was afraid of missing information as it leaked slowly from talking heads to my ears.

✳✳✳

In December 1999, Corey and his friend David flew to New Jersey to stay with Corey's Uncle Bill over the New Year holiday and bring in the new millenium  in Times Square. During their visit, Bill took them to the Jersey side of the Hudson River where they could see the Manhattan Skyline in the afternoon sun. Corey took a series of shots, with the Twin Towers in the center, immense and glowing in the fading light. When he got home he taped them together to create a panoramic view of the majestic scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment