We've had some ailing appliances around these parts.
Our fridge has been leaking inside, which then runs outside. We'd looked at getting a new fridge a few months ago, but it was hard to find one that fit. So we just let the old one drip until we decided what to do. I really like my fridge, though. Stephen has been pretty adamant about not getting water and ice-through-the-door, and we don't have an ice maker, either, so there's not a whole lot to break. And it still looks good. Hard to go wrong with textured white.
In the meantime, our gas range has been taking FOREVER to heat up, and sputters and spits while it's doing it. Visitors had noticed the faint smell of gas. I used to have a good nose, but I guess the sense of smell goes bad like everything else as you age! And the durn thing heats up the house like mad.
Aaannnddd the DVR wasn't working either. Well, I should say the remote wasn't working. I thought. The box seemed to work fine, but we couldn't get the remote to operate it. So I bought a new one. No luck. Good grief.
I called ServiceCare to come see about the appliances, then DirecTV about the box.
The appliance repairman, Bruce, was a gem. Very professional, with just the right amount of chattiness. He said he knew what was wrong with the fridge right away. A drain was stopped up, preventing condensate from exiting during the defrost cycle. The repair consisted of using pressurized steam to blow through the clog.
The oven was a different story. The "flame sensor" was not working properly, so the igniter was coming on repeatedly, which gives off a slight gas odor. All it needs is a new ignitor assembly: $326. I paused.
He called tech support, which told him this model does heat up the house, "which comes in handy in the winter!" Brother.
So I told him to wait on the part and I'd ask my hubby's expert advice. We're still deciding what to do. I love the gas cooktop, but HATE having the house temp ↑ 10 degrees when cooking a turkey. A dual fuel convection oven range would be nice, but DURN they're pricey! Will have to ruminate on this one, too.
DirecTV talked me through some settings for the box and remote, but no good. The repairman came today and installed a new box, and I now have TWO working remotes :).
Two down, one to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment