It is not from ourselves that we learn to be better than we are. ~ Wendell Berry
Monday, September 20, 2010
Pile O' Slides
Wow. We have a LOT of slides.
I'm so thankful for my dad's shutterbugging ways. He was the proud owner of a Kodak Retina and used it well. He's a great photographer, and because of him, I have a well documented babyhood. Most of his photos were developed in slide format, and I have three boxes of slide trays, loaded with family favorites. All the typical shots are there: showers, picnics, bath time, and a memorable one of me on the potty chair.
A thousand miles away, Stephen's parents were doing the same thing. We are the conservators of his family's photos too, and there are so many! It's remarkable how much alike they are, right down to shots of jets at unknown airports (must be a guy thing).
At one point we had both family's projectors as well. Carbon copies. We're down to one now (I think one went to Goodwill). Just in case you didn't know, fifty-year-old projectors have a peculiar stink. Just sayin'.
I've always been interested in family history, so finding any old photo of some relative was a red letter event, helping me visually flesh out my family tree. I've scanned hundreds of these treasures and saved them in various hard drives, just in case, for the future.
But the slides are a problem. My lands, they're bulky, and a pain to view. And like all pre-digital photographers, you ended up with a lot of less-than-stellar shots.
Back when I was using a film camera, I routinely chucked the "bleh" pics. I've got to go through all these slides and do the same thing.
The jets will be the first to go. Or, I could get really ambitious and...

No comments:
Post a Comment